Monday, May 07, 2007

Monday Update

So, where did I leave off with White TShirt guy?

Here is the summary: Two lonely pissed off people looking to have fun, hang out and process this divorce shit with someone who completely understands. It's like a fix, and while I look forward to more TShirt time, I'm happy to have my routine back. He's back home dealing with personal stuff and I don't know when we'll get a chance to hang again.

Friday and the rest of the weekend I hosted a troup of girl scouts from northeastern Pennsylvania. Their fearless leader is one of my dearest friends, and it saves them boatload of money to stay at my house rather than a hotel. She's the kind of friend you can hand the keys to your house to at any moment and know you'll come back to it better than you left it. She's just that kind of woman. So comforting to know that she's taken so much of her time to get into this fantastic organization that shapes the minds of young women.

And what a group of young women it was! I often forgot they were teenagers (much to the dismay of the leaders :-) ). The second leader I hope becomes a friend as much as the first, I really, really enjoyed her. I enjoyed the girls...it was truly a fantastic experience.

I did learn something about myself, though. I have always been the kind of person that MUST be surrounded by crowds of people. I generally have no personal space needs and frequently invade those of others. However, I noticed this weekend, I actually need some downtime. Not necessarily ME time, but I was exhausted, not from the walking or anything, but just from being engaged. Imagine, there are introverted cells in this body.

I really had a difficult time with the patience, understanding and democratic process involved with Girl Scouts. My 'you snooze, you lose' attack approach to life wouldn't fit here. It wasn't because I wasn't in charge, necessarily, because I did everything I wanted. It was just exhausting watching the leaders research options, present options, lead a vote on options and then explain themselves 9 times, 9 different ways.

Such is the life of parenting teenage girls, I guess.

Thank God they were bright and funny and beautiful and a pure joy to be around. It was such a gift that I felt like a nudge for dumping out early on Saturday to rest up for Sunday's workout. We were going to run together on Saturday, but we stayed up really, really late and didn't make it. But some day, we're going to do it, and I'm going to love it. I'm excited to see what the next generation of women will do when it's their turn to be in the lead....this group something special.

Then the boys came home and I had to squeeze a whole day of lovin' into an hour. Tippy asked me to take off his training wheels. There was nothing I could do to change his mind. So I did. And I let him fall in the grass a few times. And he decided he liked his training wheels.

Karateboy thought it would be fun to pee on the pine tree in front of the house, but his father caught him, and he spend the rest of the evening in his room. It isn't like we don't have indoor plumbing.....

I'm so happy to be at work so I can rest......

7 comments:

Sizzle said...

you don't hear that last sentence every day. ;)

sounds like a fun time!

trappedintime said...

I've always said "work is a place to relax between weekends"

trappedintime said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gadfly said...

If teenage girls would only sit around and look adorable, it would be so nice. But no. They have to talk and scream and prattle... It makes you want to tazer them unconscious.

Strangely, I have never been nominated for "father of the year."

;-)

Esmerelda said...

Sizz I saw it on a bumper sticker. 'You can rest on Monday' it was for some kind of running gear
trapped I'm with you
deleted couldja let me know who you are and what I missed? Better yet, thanks for self-sensoring
gadfly that was so funny. tks!

g-man said...

I knew that tazer would come in handy one day!

Definitely a busy weekend to get to rest at work. Glad you had fun.

TxGambit said...

Sounds fun, busy but fun!

I was a Girl Scout until I was 18. Yeah I was a nerd but I loved it. Who wouldn't getting to go to Hawaii!?